Friday, April 15, 2011

You Scream, I Scream, We all Scream for a Good ol' Face Stabbing



Now I'm all for a horror film (I'm really not) but at what point did they become humorous? Outside of the Scary Movie franchise, humor + horror does not a happy equation make. The trailer for Scream 4 has more laughs than horror. And I'm struggling to figure out why. No, Scream was never a very scary franchise. The guy is just a normal man in a robe making prank calls...that end in vicious stabbings, so I suppose that part's a bit scary. But, it never had that Halloween "this guy is untouchable and we are all f*cked" kind of vibe.

But, what seemed to happen (of course without watching the movie) is that somewhere along the line, someone forgot how to hire for slasher flicks.
Anthony Anderson: the New Face of Horror

I suppose you can only go so far with a guy in a mask, and there's always been an element of humor in the Scream films (to me watching Scream felt a little like I imagine getting stabbed in the eyes and or ears repeatedly would, but I had friends that enjoyed it) otherwise Scary Movie wouldn't have worked in the first place. The trailer just took me in the wrong direction. Laughing at serial killers as they switch gets flipped is one thing--laughing as you watch them joyfully, and bloodily, rip through a dozen coeds? Quite another.

No comments:

Post a Comment