Thursday, April 28, 2011

Starbucks, you Sly Devil

I have always been a proponent of the bookstore coffee shop. It has the two things I need most in my coffee drinking experience, namely: coffee and books.

Borders was long a favorite of mine, despite a shoddy store set up, awkward management decisions and horrible business savvy, it just always felt like home. It had a cafe that felt open and fun, it had a clientele that could be talked to, with and about. It was conveniently located. And oh yes, they had a large comic and graphic novel section.

I would just go to small, Mom and Pop coffee shops, or use my one dollar refill cup at 7 11 if it wasn't for the comics. That sweet sweet, panel art and writing combination I love so much. I became a Books-A-Million club member, simply so I could hop online, drink coffee, write blogs and read comics. Books-A-Million, you may not know, has the worst cafe known to man. Maybe eight possible drink selections, half as many table, and the same three old guys talking about "when lacrosse wasn't played in schools around here." I guess they're from the North.

I had long been without a cafe home, as it were. And far from negative, this "homeless experience" has been quite productive. I've worked on my art. I've developed new comic ideas. I opened a freakin' Twitter. I wrote application letters, unsuccessfully applied to jobs, talked to random passerby in a desperate attempt for human contact. I have done these things and done these things well.

And then...


My wallet may never be the same. And I don't even like Starbucks' coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment