Monday, February 14, 2011

Live Well

I'll get to my 'regularly scheduled' content in a moment--or rather I'll start writing it soon, but I wanted to get something said first.

Yesterday, a friend of mine, Matt Moran, passed on. He was a friend (a great friend) to many. He was young and no one expected his death, no one really believes it. It's unsurprising how very--effected--we all are by this tragedy.

As it always seems to be, he was one of the good ones. And I don't mean that in some cliche 'only the good die young' kind of way. He was truly good. He made life better for those around him, he made it fun. He lived with passion and if nothing else, we should take away from his life--not his death--that we can follow his example--we can live well.

I say this all the time in some vain effort to convince myself to do better that 'life is for living.' Matt knew that. Sometimes I think that I don't. If you have dreams, goals, passions--you need to pursue them. This concept of 'Tomorrow' or 'the Future' ... next year, next month, whatever it is...it's a not a guarantee. It won't always be there. Life can be as fleeting as it can be beautiful, and at some point you have to pursue it--reach out and grab it, as it were.

Matt loved the water, and the woods...Nature really. But I remember a conversation with him where he talked non stop about the lake and how much he loved being on it. The beach, the lake you name it--he loved the water. He said that to me a lot. The reason I bring this up? Matt loved the water--and he spent a lot of time on the water. He was always there.

Find what you love and do it. Learn from Matt--have something you love and have it be said when your time comes--that you did that--what you loved.

I hate to quote Serendipity here--but it is one of my favorite movies, but there is a quote (a real quote) in it that makes sense in times like these:

"You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: 'Did he have passion?' "

Onto happier and brighter things.

And for Matt--thanks for everything, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment