Monday, July 19, 2010

Progress! And Inception. But no thrill kills or spoilers.

I've been relatively productive today. I know the question you're all asking: "Did you wake up before noon!?" No. No I did not. But that hasn't kept me down. Today I was able to finish up my pre-designs (Yeah, finish the pre-designs. Take that World.) for my logo and website layout. Logic Fails should be back up and running within the month. And if it's not, I'm going to straight blame Ryan. Throw him right under the bus, I will.

To follow that up I began applying to jobs. Jobs I will never get because I have no experience in the field. And I'm not exactly sure how one convinces an employer to interview him via an online application that has no spot for a cover letter. Maybe I should insert the phrase "Trust me, I learn quickly and I have a fantastic beard" somewhere into my resume. It looks like most of the (10 available) teaching positions in the area have passed me up, although, one can always hope...so it's looking like it's back to school for me. Only I have no idea what I want to apply for. At all. A master's in...blank. For the purpose of...blank. So that I can one day do...blank. This is why I work on comics and stories.

Segue! I need to figure out how to do "freelance" writing. Basically, I need to figure out what the Hell I'm really good at writing about. And try to sell that to people. I put "people" in italics because, not only am I not sure who these people are, where they are or what they do, but I'm not even sure if it's people or some faceless organization that just is. On top of that, the majority of publications, that I've found, accepting work, have moved to an online model. Which is fine, except they pay by readership, rather than by the letter or page. Dumbing this down a bit, you don't get read, you don't get paid.

This strikes me as being essentially drivel and slowly approaching a complainy/whiney voice, but suffice it to say, I know the difference between talk and walk. I also happen to know that if I don't say something out loud, or write it down, not only will I not do it, I won't even remember I thought it in the first place.

On other notes, I want to see Inception again, as it was a movie that defines the term "badassery," and, if in fact you could mix words that don't exist, "mind !@#$ery." What I'm trying to say is: Inception was mind !@#%ingly badass. I want to see it again, and I want to write a movie like it. So someday, some kid writing a blog about...stuff, will say, dude that movie "Insert Movie Title here" was __________. Yeah. Fill it in. I can't come up with pretend words for everyone.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment